Thursday, 24 March 2011

Clomid 100mg?

Nothing unusual to report at the appointment. Dr K was the same as ever, slightly vague seeming but clearly knowing his stuff. In-out, less than five minutes! This sounds bad, but I discussed our treatment plan with Dr H after the HSG, so all he really needed to do today was write a prescription.

I'm on Clomid (well, Clomiphene citrate) for 5 days, then back in a week for a follicle scan to see how I have responded, then go from there. I'm a little worried about the Clomid as I've heard the side effects can be a bit difficult, but I'll just have to see how it goes. The doctor recommended that I take them before bed on an empty stomach.

I've been given ten 50mg tablets to take for five days, so I take it my dose is 100mg. I can't find anything in my paperwork that tells me that, but the prescription bag says 2 tablets 1 time a day at bedtime (in Korean of course, my google translate app got a workout.) I then confirmed with a friend who speaks good Korean. I didn't ask any of the Koreans in the office as the clinic is quite 'famous' so they would know what it was for.

I'm not sure whether this is a 'normal' dose or not for a first cycle. I was also wondering whether it was 'normal' to start it on day 3 of the cycle. I trust my doctor and he has explained the procedure to me, but here in Korea they don't seem to take a 'softly softly' approach to medication. It's more 'get it done as quickly as possible.'

I was a little surprised that he didn't order an ultrasound to check for cysts, but I guess they check that out at the scan next week.

Back in on the 31st for an ultrasound. I suppose all I can do from now 'til then is post about my weird dreams and hopefully mild side effects.

7 comments:

Ang said...

I really hope the side effects are mild or nonexistent for you. Sending you virtual chocolate, hugs and champagne to make you (virtually) feel better. They're okay for you to have, cos they're virtual! =P Big hugs.

Summastarlet said...

I hope the Clomid is all you need for success! I took Letrozole (similar to Clomid) and the side effects were hot flushes, mood swings and headaches..all which were not too extreme and ended once I finished the pills for the cycle. Sending lots of hugs.

Sushigirl said...

Good luck with the ultrasound and I hope the side effects are ok.

Cattiz J said...

It's a bit worrying when not knowing the reaction to new medications. Hope it's not too bad for you, and most important - that they do the magic trick!

Michele said...

I hope thats the right dose, I've never taken it before. Good luck with the side effects

mutemockingbird said...

Clomid - or the generic of Clomid - gave me the worst side effects of the fertility drugs I have taken. I just felt stupid. I was always forgetting things. I missed the exit for work three days in a row and I had worked at the same place for seven years then. But I think I am the exception. So hopefully they won't be so bad for you! Good luck with this cycle.

Kat said...

I feel almost hungover this morning, which I definitely am not. I am not looking forward to getting up for work tomorrow (Sunday is the only day I work early.)