Friday, 4 March 2011

The Hysterosalpingography


My HSG experience was probably no different from anyone else's; I have been describing it as a really aggressive smear test mixed with excessively bad period pains. I'm not going to go into the details except to say that it hurt and I was really, really happy it was over.

I want to say that I am more than happy with my clinic, and that I am not complaining about their English not always being perfect. In fact, the fault lays with me not knowing enough Korean.

The note above is the directions they gave me on where to go before the procedure.

Below are the instructions they gave me about the procedure:


I didn't post the whole info note, but underneath is says 'Contrast media that remain in your uterus will be expelled due to gravity.'

Afterward the doctor asked me how I tolerated it. Fine I said, probably because I took a painkiller before hand. The woman who went in before me was still lying on the sofa in the radiology waiting room when I left, poor thing.

4 comments:

China Doll said...

Your experience sounds very similar to mine... except they warn you that it will hurt whereas I was told to expect some 'mild discomfort'... I've now realised that is Dr code and I am prepared in the future for anything described that way!
I'm just impressed at how much English info you get.. so jealous ;)

Kat said...

I think Korea is much more English-ified than China. They have embraced English so wholly that you don't need to learn much Korean, which makes me very lazy when it comes to learning it.

In terms of the 'mild discomfort' I think they use the word's 'hurt and discomfort' because they don't tend to do things gently, they just get on with it.

Kat said...

Also, I'm not sure an HSG can be done gently!

Cattiz J said...

I'm glad it's over for you. Doesn't sound pleasant at all, also, smart to take a painkiller before.