Monday, 14 March 2011

Keep Calm and Carry On

Saturday was my husband's birthday, and we had quite a large party at which I drank both wine and champagne. I didn't overdo it because I had work the next day. Similarly last night I had a glass of wine with dinner.

I'm trying to conceive. We're trying naturally this cycle (as there's a tiny chance it might work) and right now I'm between ovulation and period. (I don't want to use the phrase two week wait as it suggests a medicated cycle and I don't want you to think that I would be drinking then.)

I think there are two possible reasons why I'm carrying on regardless. First I don't believe this month is the month. We tried for two years with no results, and so I don't connect sex with the possibility of pregnancy anymore. Second, I guess I'm hoping that if I ignore it, it might happen!

For those of you who are horrified at the thought of alcohol and pregnancy, remember that not all countries take such a hard line when it comes to drinking a little during pregnancy. The British medical community do not recommend heavy drinking, but allow that one or two units a week are alright. The same goes for other European nations. Also, remember that chances are I'm not actually pregnant.

When that does happen, I will stop drinking, but while I'm in this seemingly never-ending ttc limbo, I refuse to act as if I am. To be honest with you, it's too depressing when it comes to nothing.

4 comments:

China Doll said...

I agree... though I'm off booze right now in preparation for IVF, it just got too depressing to stop drinking altogether when TTC naturally. After all, that has been a very, very long time!

Cattiz J said...

I'm with you girls, although I don't drink much alcohol nowadays anyway. But a glass of wine or two with dinner isn't anything I obsess over.

Sushigirl said...

I agree. I think the only study on it said it might take longer to concieve if you were a moderate drinker, rather than stopping it together.

And, for me anyway, not drinking would not have magically unblocked my tube!

eggsandsperm.com said...

I've been drinking a lot less than I used to, but yah, one or two glasses during the 2WW is fine in my eyes.