Wednesday, 16 March 2011

Opinions Wanted

At my work, in August, a nearly year-long training course starts. It would be an important step for me professionally and I would need it to move into any kind of management role at my company. If I get a place it is paid for by the company and I would have some time off my normal work every week to do it.

So the problem, of course, is what happens if the BFP happens? Over the next six months we're going to be undergoing treatment.

My husband thinks I should apply for a place and see what happens - it might be that I don't get in this year anyway. The thing is, I don't want to get a place, start the course, and then withdraw, as I would have taken a place from someone else who wants it. On the other hand, if I don't get pregnant then I will have put everything on hold for a baby that still hasn't come (which I did the year before last).

I recently said to Elphaba over at Yolk that she should go for a work opportunity she has, but for some reason I can't make up my mind when it comes to me.

What do you think?

6 comments:

Sushigirl said...

My advice is that, whatever you do, don't put your life on hold on a 'maybe' treatment outcome! You can do it and, if you get a BFP, the course will still be there next year.

Cattiz J said...

Hmmm you could always apply for it and then take a new decision to say yes or no thanks if you get a placement. Then again, is it something you can take up later if you need to withdraw before it's done?

It's not easy, it's been six month since we first seeked help and we are now a month or two away from starting the process. It makes it so hard to plan when you don't know the exact dates and outcomes!

eggsandsperm.com said...

I think you should take your own advice ;)

Go for it. Don't put your life on hold for what may or may not happen.

China Doll said...

I'd say go for it.. if it's the same (or similar to the) course that I'm thinking, then when I did mine, there were lots of people who just did part of it and deferred other parts to come back to later. One lady did some of the course but was then having her baby so deferred the last sections. It seemed quite flexible... would yours be the same? And certainly don't worry about taking the chance from other people.. do what's right for you!

Kat said...

Thanks for the advice ladies. I've said I'm interested, so I guess I have to wait and see whether I get a place this year.

@Chinadoll- yes, it is what you think: DD through IH

I think it's in 3 parts, so hopefully if I can do it but need to defer parts of it it won't be a problem.

The point may be moot anyway, I may not get a place. I have no idea how they select!

mutemockingbird said...

I would say go for it. There are plenty of people who have surprise pregnancies and have to withdraw from programs or change job status and employeers understand.