Monday, 21 March 2011

Two lines... OK! One line... NO!



So, as I used all my internet cheapies, I decided to go buy a pregnancy test (yeah, I can't get over my addiction at all) for use later this week. It's called 'Homestick' 홈스틱 which is not Korean language, but Korean-English, or Konglish.

The old couple who run our local pharmacy are really sweet. The old guy never gets out of his chair, he just leans around and picks things up. I've never dealt with the old lady before. I asked in my best Korean, imshin-testuh-issoyo? It was 5000won (convert here) which is a bit too cheap for my liking (my addiction might cause me to buy too many.)

My experience of hpts means that I know how they work, but I thought I would double check. I asked in my broken Korean, but she replied in English. She said 'Two lines...OK! One line... NO!' She sounded equally excited by both possibilities, which I thought was great as she had no idea what outcome I was looking for.



However, after I looked at the box it was actually pretty clear. T is test. C is control.

I wanted to see the sensitivity of the test, as my cheapies were 10mIU. However I got distracted by the the 'Mouse anti hCG'


I thought it might be a mistranslation, but the Korean says 마우스 (mouse) also. I consulted Google, and found this very instructive animation about how this test uses mouse something to detect hCG. I understood it at the time, but now I can't remember.

I've just noticed that the test is 25mIU. I can't use it 'til closer to CD32 (it's CD28 today) which is probably the exact thing I need so I don't test all the time and drive myself crazy.

11 comments:

Karen said...

Where do you get tests with a 5 mIU sensitivity?

Wait, don't tell me - it'll just fuel my obsession.

No. I seriously want to know.

Kat said...

Sorry, they're 10mIU, I got it wrong - do you still want to know?

Karen said...

Even though it's probably dangerous for me to possess such information, yes, I want to know.

Kat said...

I got them from http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/pregnancy-tests.htm I ordered from them to Spain, so they'd probably ship anywhere in the world. I was going to get them sent out to Korea but I decided it wasn't worth it in the end.

China Doll said...

It's so tempting just to keep testing, isn't it? :)

Kat said...

I think the word addiction is appropriate! Hey - buy a Chinese test to show us...

Cattiz J said...

It can be very addictive, I agree. Hope it's a two liner for you!

Kat said...

I'm not very hopeful today to be honest. Things seem too 'normal' so far this month.

Lisa said...

Wow! As if fertility treatment isn't complex enough, you have great courage and a great attitude about your fertility journey abroad. I wish you the best of luck.

Lisa (ICLW #112)

P.S. There's still time to register for the free Fertility Focus Telesummit which starts today and runs all week. Go to http://yourgreatlife.typepad.com to register. I'm speaking in a few hours on creating effective support networks while trying to conceive, but there are also talks by 11 other fertility experts.

Kat said...

Thanks Lisa!

Lu said...

Love this. I lived in China last year and used Chinese HPTs. Unfortunately they weren't positive, but I did have fun trying to explain what I needed at the pharmacy in Chinese.