Wednesday, 20 April 2011

Bad Timing

As I mentioned earlier this week, I'm a teacher. Every six months, the parents are invited to come and watch their little darlings speak English together. It's stressful, everyone worries about it, and I had my observed classes yesterday and the day before.

Most of my classes are a little bit older, and well behaved. However I have one class of 6 and 7 year olds who have only been studying English for 6 weeks. There are 14 of them, they don't speak English yet, and I have difficulty controlling them (though they are slowly improving). I was really worried about this class observation.

Guess when I started spotting yesterday? Ten minutes before this class.

My plan had been to test with a cheapie every morning, so I could get used to negative results (if they were negative), so if AF turned up at work, I would be prepared and could handle it. As you can see from yesterday's post, I had already tested a few times and got a negative results, but I was still holding out hope. I was only at 11 days post IUI. My 2WW was only 11 days!

The next question is what to do next? Do we go for another IUI, or go for the big guns and try IVF? I'll discuss it with Dr K, but if we choose another IUI I'll have to go in in the next couple of days. I can't decide.

7 comments:

China Doll said...

Sorry that AF arrived, and at such a rubbish time :( Hope the observed classes went well...

What is your gut telling you about the IUI/IVF? For me IVF was a very difficult step but I've also realised recently that I never really expected the IUIs to work (in our case) and we were just going through the motions for a number of reasons (timing, getting used to the clinic etc). I think being emotionally ready for the IVF was more difficult for me than the actual IVF process, at least so far! xx

Kat said...

The classes went OK - the little ones couldn't do one activity, but I adapted it quickly so hopefully the parents won't mind (it was ambitious for their level).

As to the IUI/IVF conundrum - I do feel if we do another IUI it will be going through the motions rather than because I believe it will work. I know there are IUI success stories out there, but to me it kind of feels like a waste of time and money.

For a long time I thought that IVF was my only option, and while I know you can't ever be prepared for what might happen, I was 'ready' for it. When we got the HSG results, and it seemed there might be other options, I was elated, but I still don't think I believed the IUI would work. During the 2WW, when I had symptoms, I was shocked and hopeful, but now it hasn't worked I don't think I want to bother with it again.

Summastarlet said...

Sending hugs. Sorry AF is showing up. I am glad the class went ok. xx

I think you need to lay out your thoughts to the doctor and see what their thoughts are before you make a decision as to where next.

Kat said...

I think that's what I've decided to do in my indecision! I'm made an appointment to see him on CD3, so if we decide to go with IUI again I can.

Cattiz J said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry! Hard to advice but talk to the doctors and see what they think would be the better option for you.

MarriedwithEndo said...

I've been exactly where you are now. I personally was not ready for IVF at the time my Dr. recommended moving to IVF. I did two more IUI cycles before giving in to IVF. I don't think you're ever truly ready for IVF. You need to talk it over with the doctor and decide what you're comfortable with. He will have recommendations, but ultimately go with what you feel comfortable doing. I'm happy I tried two extra cycles, but that may not be what you're comfortable with. Whatever you decide will be the best choice!

Elaine VanDRiver said...

I agree with MarriedwithEndo. I had lots of birds in my ear suggesting more IUI's or going IVF. It took a little while for me to come around. I used one whole natural cycle to let my body "reboot" while I contemplated what I wanted to do. Wishing you the best on your decision!

~elaine, iclw