Friday, 8 April 2011

IUI complete

I went to the clinic twice today. Once early this morning with my husband when he gave his sample (only fair as he came with me to a 7.45 last Saturday) and then I went back this afternoon to have the IUI. I had to come back in between as we had workmen coming in to fix various things in the apartment. So I've been across the city and back twice today, but it's a nice day so it hasn't been too horrible. No radioactive rain from Japan today!

I was really, really nervous on the way there and while getting changed for the pre-procedure ultrasound. It started with nerves about the procedure, then shifted to nerves about whether I would cry in front of the doctor if it doesn't work, then shifted to other things about pregnancy/ectopics/no heartbeats.

However while I waited for my ultrasound I realised I should only worry about one thing at once, that I should worry about things in order, and at that moment the worst thing that could happen would be that we wouldn't proceed with the procedure. I had prepared myself already for this possibility, so I just focused on the fact that if that happened we would just go again next cycle.

Feeling calmer, I proceeded to Dr K, who told me that I had ovulated, and that before the cleaning my husband's motility was 60%, and after was a fantastic 99%! Can't remember how much there was, but he didn't seem worried about it. Also, my lining was at 1cm.

The procedure went as I'm sure most of these procedures go. It took probably less than a minute, was uncomfortable but not terrible (a walk in the park after the HSG), and then I just had to wait ten minutes. The only thing that was a little unnerving was that it wasn't a private room. It was separated by curtains and there was another woman on the other side of the curtain. Dr K did my IUI, then just pulled the curtain at the end of my bed, and shifted over to the next woman. Of course, I didn't understand anything being said to her, and probably vice-versa, so patient confidentiality was being protected I guess!

So now I'm at home, ready to start asking Dr Google about success rates with our factors. Of course, there won't be data on open but possibly knackered fallopian tubes in the bargain, but I think it's necessary to feel hope, rather than pessimism.

Fingers and everything else crossed.






4 comments:

Cattiz J said...

Fingers crossed for you! And it's true, if you worry take one thing at a time. Hope you can have a relaxing weekend now.

eggsandsperm.com said...

Oh good luck hun! I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Ang said...

If I could function writing assignments with toes, fingers, eyes and all limbs crossed, I would. Seeing as that's a bit hard, I am hoping hard for you instead.

...I miss you heaps. Just sayin'!

China Doll said...

Glad it went well.. definitely go for hope, rather than pessimism!

I totally get the worrying about all the 'what-ifs' in the future.. I'm also working on one step at a time at the moment :)