Thursday, 16 June 2011

IVF 1... Go!

As in now. As in this morning. As in I've already had the first stimm injection and I am now sitting in my office with my head reeling by how quickly things have moved.

After the last IUI the nurse told me to come in on day 2 of my cycle if things didn't work out. So I called yesterday after AF started yesterday and they managed to squeeze me in for this morning. I thought perhaps it might be to check for a chemical pregnancy, but I did also wonder if it was partly to start a short-protocol IVF. My husband and I discussed it last night, but I still can't believe it is happening.

Dr K was very compassionate and asked what I wanted to do. I said that I didn't think that my fallopian tubes really work, despite them being open, and he agreed. So, onto IVF. He sent me off for a ultrasound to check all my follicles were the same size (or something).

When I came back he had an English language info pack ready on the desk, and said we were going to get started with stimms today. Off for a blood test, picked up my Gonal-F pen from the pharmacy, was talked through the consent forms, and then shown how to use the pen and given my first shot.

I guess I'm on a variation of the short protocol. I tried to look it up quickly on the way to work but didn't have time. I asked if I was going to be taking anything to down-reg (or whatever) at the same time as stimms but he said it depends on how I react to the drugs. I'm on 225 per day, which is 3 times stronger than I was on for the last IUI. Egg retrieval tentatively set for next weekend (they only confirm 2 days before.)

Sorry this post is a bit rambly. I'm still in a bit of shock and also I'm at work. I'll post in more detail this evening when I get home.

10 comments:

China Doll said...

Wow, things moved fast, eh?! Any idea why you're on short rather than long protocol? Btw, I was on 225 of Gonal-F as well!

So exciting that you're getting going with this cycle (although I know how hard the transition from IUI to IVF can be, so apologies if excitement is not quite the right emotion.)

xx

Kat said...

I'm kind of freaking out, but I am excited as well.

marilyn said...

Wow..this is exciting..but really rushed. You did not have anytime..to let it sink in..or go through any feeling for the last cycle. Well...I wish you all the positive luck through this cycle..and we are all here for you.

JustHeather said...

WooHoo! As others have said, wow! this is fast. But it sounds like you were/are ready for it. May you not have too many side effects and may everything go as it should.

knitting vixen said...

WOW! Moving fast!
We (bloggers) will be with you all the way.

luckyme said...

I had short protocol too. Amazing isn't it. Once you say 'yes' you can potentially be awaiting egg collection and then fertilisation reports in 12 + days. It's so fast. I'm really glad things are moving for you but it is a lot to take in. I had same dose too and felt pretty ok. Good luck! Glad to hear you had 'english' info too, I really missed out on that but found great Gonal F and other injection demos on utube :)

Guiri de California said...

I will be doing a short protocol, too. I'm just waiting for AF to arrive; So, I shouldn't be too far behind you. You can tell me how fun the ER and ET will be before I have it done. :) Good luck!

mutemockingbird said...

Wow that is fast, but I kind of liked going straight from one cycle to another. I really didn't have time to feel bad about the first cycle because I was already focusing on the next one.

Michele said...

Woah, really fast there...but so exciting too!!!!

Dr.Narendra Malhotra said...

Malhotra Test Tube Baby and IVF Clinic in India provides IVF Treatments which includes IVF ICSI IUI Treatment Cost in India, Embryo Donation, Egg Donation, infertility treatment, Male Female Infertility Treatment India.
http://www.malhotrahospitals.com