Thursday, 16 June 2011

Short Protocol

I posted yesterday about my sudden entry onto an IVF cycle, and I was pretty confused at the time (and also at work) so I wasn't much with the details.

So the details are as follows:

I'm on 4 days of Gonal-F 225, back in on Monday for a scan. As I mentioned in my last post I'm not on any down-regging drugs, but they might be added later depending on my response. I initially was very confused, but after posting on the BC IVF forum it seems I am not the only one doing this kind of protocol. Which is a relief, because being in a different country can be really hard when things are done slightly differently and it's difficult to find people going through the same thing in the same language.

So why the short protocol? I'm 31, as far as I know my hormone levels are 'normal,' if I was in the UK I think I would be on a long protocol.

To be honest I think it might be a Korea thing. Korea is all about 'balli-balli,' which means 'quickly-quickly.' I think that they do short protocols because they don't take so long and if you don't give a patient something they want right now, they might go elsewhere. In this town, it's possible you could demand your records on day 2 from one clinic, call another one and get an appointment and treatment at another on the same day. It's not that the clinics aren't busy, but rather they just manage to fit you in.

Also, given the number of patients my clinic sees, I suspect the short protocol is easier to manage if the patient qualifies. It's a shorter period of time to keep an eye on things, and less complicated for the patients to keep track of.

A couple of you commented about me not really having time to process the failed IUI. The thing is, I could have asked to delay for a month if I wanted to but I didn't. If I had, I know that in a weeks time I would have been wishing that I had got on with it. I like to be moving forward.

8 comments:

China Doll said...

It's amazing how fast things progress with a short protocol, isn't it? I'm sure you wouldn't be on it unless it was a suitable option, whatever the clinic's reasoning. Good luck! xx

Kat said...

Thanks. I definitely trust my doctor to have made the right choice for me, especially if it is the protocol that he is most familiar with. I'm quite glad to be on the short protocol actually, as the down regging was something I was really dreading. Of course, we'll have to see how this goes. I'm feeling quite uncomfortable today after only 2 injections!

knitting vixen said...

I totally understand- why wait around?!?
I hope that this cycle is a success for you!

Cattiz J said...

Wow, wow and wow! Things are really moving fast over there =) I like the sound of a short protocol, the long one here in UK is, or feels, just very long. Hope the meds won't be too bad for you.

luckyme said...

I've never had a proper explanation for the SP either and was worried too but now see it as a bonus. My bloods are normal and my age not an issue. I've been told that DR gives clinics a blank canvas to work with rather than managing around a more natural start to a cycle where is always the potential for some leftover unwanted activity in your ovaries. It gives them ultimate control so planning is easier and more organised. I felt a bit unsure at first as it didn't match a lot of what I was reading on BC but I'm so glad in the long run I saved time, money and what sounds like a rather unpleasant experience for some poor ladies.

It hadn't occurred to me about time to process your failed IUI's. I'm still processing my failed IVF (January). I tried to take a few days out to heal from it but things never work that way for me. I made sure I was really busy post failed cycle. I like to keep moving too :)

Kat said...

I personally feel there is a *big* difference between a failed IUI cycle and a failed IVF cycle, especially with my dodgy fallopian tubes! The IUI was a big 'what if' and while conditions were 'right' for creating an embryo, we will never know if it did, and so I choose to believe that it didn't. It feels more like a normal month where I didn't get pregnant. There were no actual embryos involved.

I have read things about SP being for low ovarian reserve and poor response, but so far as I know those aren't a problem for me (we'll see I guess) The planning element isn't really an issue for my clinic, as they seem to work everything around natural cycles as much as they can (with the exception of triggering of course.) So long as the doctor knows what to do and it makes 'enough' eggs I don't care which one I'm on!

luckyme said...

Yes that's interesting. I have experienced the usual failed attempts which are hard enough but it's true there is a big loss with IVF. That's v empathic of you! I think some people don't realise. Interesting your IUI's felt like a 'normal month'.

None of the above for me or my clinic were relevant for SP either it's interesting how they decide LP or SP. I'm sure you can be extra confident as your clinic know your ovaries well by this time too.

Wishing you lots of luck!

Kat said...

Maybe 'normal month' was an exaggeration, but we knew it was a long shot for us so we tried not to get our hopes up too much. I wasn't surprised by the failure of the last cycle. If we had any chance at all with it it was only as high as a 'normal' person's chances per cycle.

I didn't mean to sound that a failed IUI isn't significant, as I know a lot of people take it very hard and I did the first failure as well. I just feel that when there are embryos created it would feel like more of a loss for me if my cycle doesn't work.