Saturday, 6 August 2011

Vases

So many things I've been blogging about recently have been related to weather. It's not that there is nothing going on, in fact I'm mega busy, just that we've been having such extremes of weather that affect our everyday lives so much, that it's often all that I can think about.

This week is no exception. It started off variable, we had some rain (though nothing compared to last week, and yesterday was about the hottest day I've experienced in a while. I also had a deathly hangover from a work event the night before. It was absolutely the day to go shopping for vases.

Oh yeah, we moved last weekend. We moved from the ground floor to the first of the same building (first to second following the AmE way of describing these things) so we traipsed up and down the stairs again and again in hot, humid weather. Luckily we didn't have too much furniture to move.

Anyway, on unpacking our stuff I noticed that nearly everything we own is functional. This is not surprising, as we move every year or so, often internationally, and so having decorative items is not always practical. However we've been here for a year, we're now here for sure for another two years (with dh's new job, the contract is for two years) possibly three. Also we make a decent living now (not massively rich, but 'comfortable') and my company has a shipping provision for moving if we decide to go to another country with them (again, not massive, but enough to take the pressure off a little).

The point of this is that yesterday I decided to go and buy some decorative items. My intention was to buy a small vase for a table on our balcony, and a colourful ceramic set of mini-drawers for the top of a book shelf in the living room which I've had my eye on in a shop nearby for a while.

About a half mile from my house is a street of 'antique' shops. They have a mix of antiques and basically just junk. So I went over there in the blistering heat (using the umbrella in my bag as a parasol - yes, it really is that hot) to find them all closed. I wasn't too annoyed, as it wasn't really that far to go, but I was disappointed.

There is a pottery shop on the way back to my house which I had never been in. It's in a basement (like a lot of shops here) and I've only ever walked past the stairs going down. It had a lot of traditional Korean ceramics, which are green and kind of bulbous, but alas, no small vase for the table. Then in the corner I spied a small number of tall, thin vases of different heights. None of which were right for my table, all of which I wanted!

I spent ages looking at them, and in the end bought a 'matched' pair which I had no idea where I was going to put in the apartment.


They are matched in that they are day and night. The day one has ducks at the bottom which represents happiness in marriage and fidelity, because a mandarin duck does not take another mate if it's mate dies. The fish on the night one represents wealth, the flowers, wisdom. They were a lot more than I had intended to spend, but they are hand painted, and I fell in love with them. I still have no idea where to put them.

I did manage to buy the decorative drawers, but ended up getting a much smaller set than I had originally thought, on account of spending so much on the vases.


Have a good week everyone. I'm not updating as frequently nor reading others blogs as much as I need a break from thinking about IF and treatments. I'm also really busy at work.


6 comments:

Karen said...

I love the pieces! So beautiful.

Michele said...

Beautiful decorative pieces!

marilyn said...

I love these items. vERY COLORFUL AND UNIQUE

Red Power Ranger said...

Kat, I jumped on to tell you the same. I haven't been blogging or reading, but wanted to let you know you are still in my thoughts.
A break is a good idea. I felt that sometimes reading other IF come preg blogs can get me upset, I dont like to read about whinging pregnant women. The distraction of life over IF is a good thing..

Cattiz J said...

Cute stuff. I like when things have a meaning to them like those symbols on the vases.

JustHeather said...

Thanks for stopping by the other day. I've heard of Gooseberry crumble, but never tried it. It is basically what we call a 'cobbler' in the US. I've made blackberry, peach, apple and other fruit cobblers, but not in a while. Blackberry is my favoritest!

Great decoration buys! We're the opposite of you two, we've lived in the same place for 12 years now, ever since I moved to Finland. We have so much stuff to get rid of before we move next year. I dread the work, but know I should start working on it sooner rather than later. :D