Thursday, 8 September 2011

FET #1 CD4

The witch arrived on Monday, a few days earlier than expected but still at a respectable 28 days. I'm happy that I've apparently come back into a regular cycle after my f-ed up fresh cycle in June. I feel confident that most of the drugs will have left my system by now, and we're headed into a 'natural' cycle, though I suspect I might be on progesterone.


Yesterday I made my appointment to go in on CD10. I assume it will be for a follicle check and lining thickness, and to discuss the procedure. I have to talk to the doc about how our embryos are frozen, as that will affect how many we may transfer.


I'm leaning hard towards a single embryo transfer (eSET) if we can. I've been doing a lot of research and I'm pretty convinced that two embryos only marginally increases the chances of a viable pregnancy. It increases the chances of multiples, of course, but actual implantation rates are not much higher. As we only have 3 frozen embryos, it means that if we did two this time, we'd only have one left. We'd then have to head into a fresh cycle sooner. If we can do eSET, providing the embryos thaw OK, we could have 3 more cycles.


Of course, if the embryos were frozen together, then we will have no choice in this.


I realised last night how much my dh actually understands what's been going on. He's not a stupid man, but certain salient details don't always register. We were walking around the supermarket last night and he asked me about what he should do about making his swimmers better this time around... Um, well, as we already have embryos... Oh dear. I think he's still feeling burned about his swimmers being described as 'sluggish.' Personally I think it's more that they wanted to get as many embryos as quickly as possible and so did the ICSI. We'll see I guess if we have to do another fresh cycle.


On a slightly different note, my clinic doesn't offer interlipids, so I was wondering whether drinking soy milk might have a similar effect. After my fresh transfer they gave me a little box of soy milk to drink (along with a really nasty looking sandwich). I didn't realise it was soy milk, didn't make any connection to interlipids, and so didn't drink it. I have no idea whether it would make any difference, but soy milk is pretty healthy regardless and quite inexpensive (in fact it's cheaper than cow's milk here), so I'm going to introduce it into my diet.

7 comments:

China Doll said...

Hi there - just back in town for a couple of days... wishing you lots of good luck for this cycle :) Also, a friend of mine had all her embryos defrosted and then they refroze some of them, so that could be an option for eSET, even if they were frozen together...
xx

Cattiz J said...

Had to smile about your dh =) Nice though he's trying to help improving his swimmers. Best of luck, hope you can go for singles then. I'll be a few weeks behind you, let's hope for the best!

Michele said...

I know about the dh thing. My H is the same way sometimes, but doesn't like to hear the full descriptions of things, so he gets half the story then tries to fill in the blanks with what he thinks is right. When he repeats it later I always get a laugh. If we get to IVF, it'll be funny to hear his interpretation of it.

Oh and soy milk...blech!

Sara said...

My dh is pretty clueless about fertility stuff also. It's funny how they compartmentalize.

My clinic gave me the same gross sandwich/soy milk combo. It never even occurred to me that the soymilk might actually be a strategy. Makes sense, though.

Good luck!

mutemockingbird said...

Good luck with your next cycle! My doctor told me he had better success with frozen cycles because you body isn't doing all that work to mature extra eggs. I've read that some clinics are trying all frozen cycles, so you would freeze all of your eggs and then have a frozen cycle in a month or two. Our doctor recomended ICSI too. Not becuase there was anything wrong, but they can guarentee more embryos that way.

mutemockingbird said...

Good luck with your next cycle! My doctor told me he had better success with frozen cycles because you body isn't doing all that work to mature extra eggs. I've read that some clinics are trying all frozen cycles, so you would freeze all of your eggs and then have a frozen cycle in a month or two. Our doctor recomended ICSI too. Not becuase there was anything wrong, but they can guarentee more embryos that way.

mutemockingbird said...

Good luck with your next cycle! My doctor told me he had better success with frozen cycles because you body isn't doing all that work to mature extra eggs. I've read that some clinics are trying all frozen cycles, so you would freeze all of your eggs and then have a frozen cycle in a month or two. Our doctor recomended ICSI too. Not becuase there was anything wrong, but they can guarentee more embryos that way.