Thursday, 23 February 2012

IVF2: Retrieval

The long and the short of it is that we got 9 mature eggs from this cycle which is two more than last time. I'm happy with the number, but I know that it's a long road between nine eggs and blastos ready to be transferred. Some highlights:

  • We got 9 eggs
  • The ICSI which we had pre-paid for was cancelled as dh's sperm was of 'good' quality. I hope this means that the eggs had already started to fertilize before we left the clinic. We got a $405 dollar refund.
  • They seem confident that we'll get some 5 day blastos, and we paid for the extra two lab days: $300
  • So in total we got a $105 refund.
  • Dh believes that the improved sperm quality is due to the omega-3, zinc and his regular 'maintenance' which he has embarked on every 3-4 days since we started the cycle on Feb 1st
Some not so highlights include: having to wait more than an hour between checking in and going in for retrieval. Apparently there was an emergency case the doc had to do something with, so me and three other women were all sitting there worrying about the time ticking by. In the hospital's defense they did check what time everyone had done their trigger, just in case someone was right at the limit.

After the transfer I was in a lot of pain and they told me they were worried I had suffered 'massive' bleeding. I tried to keep calm by reminding myself that it was probably a lost in translation problem. It was and after a not too comfortable check that I wasn't bleeding 'massively' I was able to go home.

We had lunch and I've just slept for a couple of hours. Dh has gone to work. I'm achey but on the sofa instead of in bed.

All has gone well so far. Please keep your fingers crossed that at least some my embryos make it to 5 days.

10 comments:

Micha said...

Fingers (and everything else) crossed for you! Rest up and feel better soon.

Red Power Ranger said...

It actually sounds like a positive retrieval, especially with cash back in the pocket! Thank u for the info about DH, I need to push the info to mine. Will always take new tips when I can. Rest up!!

China Doll said...

Sorry to hear that you had pain and the stress of possible bleeding. But glad you got 9 eggs and the swimmers were good :) Fingers crossed for great 5 day blasts xx

knitting vixen said...

I have my fc for you. Sounds like an excellent retrieval to me. I am sure you will get to blasto.

Don't worry if you lose a couple on the way, the thinking on blastos is that those that don't survive to blasto stage in the perti dish probably wouldn't have made it in the womb (though they can never check!).

My egg collection was delayed too and I was panicking that I would ovulate in the waiting room. My husband had to get a nurse to calm me down!

I am glad you didn't have "massive bleeding"!

marwil said...

Still following and holding onto hope for you..
Also - I will check out the knitting blanket you shared in a previous post. Thanks.

ps. this is former cattiz from 'colours of cattiz'

JustHeather said...

Congrats on the 9 mature eggs! Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you!
I hope you're feeling better after a nap. Getting a bit of a refund is nice too.

Kelly said...

The unexpected refund is nice! My fingers are crossed! Take it easy the next could of days!

Toni Rapp said...

Two more then last time is awesome. Even better getting money back. What a great start!

Mumbai Beginnings said...

Good news overall!!! Good luck!! Much baby dust and sticky vibes your way!!!

mutemockingbird said...

Congratulations on the 9 mature eggs! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the numbers look as good at 5 days!